When I first started living for Christ, there were a WHOLE lotta changes. Layers upon layers of things being chipped away or repaired, spiritually, that no one could see. However, there were some visual signs of this new found renewal in my heart too, my wardrobe! It got a huge makeover, and slowly I began to understand why.
As a young believer in this day and age, I see a lot. Usually never saying anything, just observing and processing it all. I mean, it would be a bit tiring, not to mention foolish to speak on EVERYTHING you see.
Define Your Lifestyle
In this post, I’m gonna share with you guys just how to define your lifestyle and the many benefits! I think we all can get so inspired by what our eyes are attracted to in other people’s lives: their bodies, their homes, their fashion flair, their personality/mannerisms, even–but I always aim to encourage people to find their AUTHENTIC style for life.
For example, growing up, I was the cute girl that wasn’t girlie, lol. A tomboy that loved a fresh pair of sneaks– but my mama definitely made sure I still knew how to walk in heels, lol. So I was versatile–but the heart of me, preferred street styles. I went off to high school & college and my little circle of influence got super wide, super quickly! I was told I was “too pretty” to be wearing those sneakers, and could look so much better if I wore this color, or these shoes, or this really short skirt, lol. So, I tried it! And you know what, it was ok. I mean, I do enjoy a nice pair of heels, I am aware of my femininity, and I do like to switch things up sometimes.
But fast forward, over 10 years later. I’m now an older woman, fully confident of who I am, and what I’m about. #jesustaughtme .
And you know what happened? I wear sneakers almost every single day! Pretty much, I reverted back to what was the REAL me.
I think with age, and letting God show you yourself–free from social influence, we start to see that we’ve had glimpses of our authentic self our whole lives.
The Style of My Life
I call my style more tomboy chic, because I do wear feminine things when I’m feeling it, but I make it fit around my core style. My color palette is black, white, and neutrals. Basically, I have a minimalistic approach to my home, and I know exactly how I like my makeup. This is the style of my life!
Now, before it sounds like I got my life together: I dont, lol, and I must admit: It took me up until this year to find my (life)style! So if you haven’t, don’t be discouraged. It takes a whole lot of trial & error, reflection, and just plain ole’ patience to figure it out.
But once you do, life in every way will get a wee bit simpler, because you’ll know where you stand on almost anything concerning your image & life preferences. The simplicity alone will help you commit to it, because, well, who doesn’t like things not being so hard?! You can do it! And I think I can help:-)
Steps on HOW to Define Your LifeStyle
KNOW YOUR POWER COLORS
Okay, this is big one. What colors do you gravitate towards the most? Which colors make you feel both powerful and confident? I knew it was the neutrals palette for me–predominantly black, because black fits my personality.
Black is subtle, and understated, yet always makes a splash:-)
It’s both seen and unseen, it’s cool and low key, but still is taken seriously. What colors reflect your personality?
LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT
When I discovered my style in wardrobe & color palette, I went through my closet & tossed EVERYTHING that didn’t fit it. I was bout that life! lol. The thing is, you want to feel as amazing as possible every day, so go through your stuff, and purge it of stuff that doesn’t fit this new goal! You shouldn’t just feel okay about your image! Love the visual you put forth into the world, by making it subject to the style you’ve determined will help you do just that! Watch my Youtube Video that explores this tip and others like it, Here!
BONUS: I only buy new things that fit my lifestyle as well! No “maybe, it can go with this?” , or “It might look better with that?”, no, my goal is to: LOVE everything I purchase. Now this means you may buy things less frequently, but why be a collector of stuff you’re just ok with anyway?
SET THE MOOD
This is in reference to your home. I mentioned adopting a minimalistic life approach, and can I tell you, it’s been so dope! My color palette is the same in my home as my wardrobe–black/white/neutrals–but heavy on the white. It just gives me so much peace.
Figure out what kind of environment makes you feel good at home? Is it a lot of candles? Is it a lot of plants? Maybe a certain feel of rug you need to have in every room to feel comfortable? Whatever it is, get into more of that!
Numerous studies prove that having a clean home, promotes peace and more productivity. I was fortunately raised to be very cleanly, so this has always been in me, but if you have a history of, idk, “letting it all hang out” around your crib, stop that! lol.
Seriously, try decluttering your space, and having a bit more open air in your rooms. Defining a clean, bright, warm area for your lifestyle (home space) will help you get more done faster & easier! This will work wonders for your focus, peace, and all around quality of life at home.
In terms of hair & makeup–what look can you pull off that’s literally effortless? What looks can you do, where you know you’re not being too “try hardy“, you’re just, doing you? Somewhere in this world, is your go to look. Play around with it, and experiment. Wear it everyday for a week, and pay attention to how you feel.
LISTEN TO THE PEOPLE
Coming right in from the last point–listen to the people about this experiment! I don’t usually advise caring about what people say, lol, but in this case, we’re working on something, so it’s alright, lol. When you do that effortless look for a week straight, what are the people saying? Are they here for it?! Or better yet:
think of a look that you’ve always gotten compliments on, since like, forever! Go into this look, and see how to make it fit you now?
Are You Ready?
Okay loves, these were 6 super easy and basic tips to discover your authentic lifestyle! In conclusion, I really hope they were helpful to you, and and that you try them out! There’s nothing like feeling that extra bit of freedom every day, being confident in your image, and how you live your life.
Your lifestyle is a reflection of you–whether it’s your fashion, makeup/hair, or even home details. So take the time to actually get to know you, when defining all the details of those things. Don’t let it be over influenced by someone else’s style, NOBODY, can do it like you:-)
Until next time, bye lovaas💋
Blogging is the closest version of “writing” for me, as I really enjoy literary works of all kinds, so Alexis Loves is my small contribution to the big ole’ world of journalism. But I don’t just like my own blog, I loveeee visiting other blogs, and have been an avid blog stalker since 2010. If you’re here (thanks for stopping by, btw), you like reading blogs too! Every month or so, I’ll do a few days of scouring the web for new blog finds–new writers making waves online with their ideas & images. These are my favorite bloggers at the moment. Their sites have been added to my bookmarks, and you should definitely check them out!
Current favorite bloggers:
The Sunday Chapter.
- This girl just gets it! The organization of the blog is beautiful, clean, and engaging. I love the content as well, she talk about travel, style, and beauty. I love her laid back tone in her writing, yet, it’s still speaks of experience and tastefulness. Check Angela out, when you’re cruising the blogs:-)
- Karolyne’s blog is so refreshing! As a fellow believer in Christ, she speaks the TRUTH, on issues like being a new mom, homosexuality, budgeting, and so much more! If you’re a woman seeking to focus on God and being pure in your heart & thought life, you’d love Karolyne’s blog!
Chloe Helen Miles.
- Chloe is a UK based fashion & fitness blogger, and she kiiillsss the gram! That’s where I found her:-) Chloe is so chic, I mean, her look is just all there, from the blunt bangs, to the fleeky brows–can you tell I’m into her look? lol. And she works out, and ya’ll know I’m a fit geek! Get into Chloe’s blog, you’ll definitely enjoy it:-)
Bible Thinking Woman.
- The Bible thinking woman is a beautiful blog for women with a true heart for Jesus 💜. Kesha, the woman behind the site, gets REAL about the issues we face pursuing biblical womanhood and being closer to Christ. Her words are convicting, challenging, and sure to make you take a double take on the things you’ve been doing, the ways you’ve been thinking–and they’re all aligned with how GOD says to act & think. If you’re growing in your walk, or even just curious about starting a walk with Jesus, please bookmark this blog.
- Juley, over at Upperlyn & Co, is a blogger based in New Orleans, my old stomping grounds! So initially this caught my attention, because there aren’t many bloggers in that area at all. She talks about stylish living and gives awesome business tips for those starting out in business ventures. Juley also posts delicious looking recipes, interior design tips, and inspiring life tips for all our hacks at living. Upperlyne & Co. is a great blog if you want to inspired by chic style & interior design, with a great dose of New Orleans flare!
I hope you’ll check out these blogs I’ve been obsessed with this month! Let me know if you do, would love to hear your thoughts:-)
Until next time, bye lovass! 💋
Monday Motivation: Let’s Prepare for An Awesome Week!
Hey my loves!
Today is Monday, and one tag that I like checking out on Mondays is mondaymotivation. It’s full of some awesome quotes, fitness videos, and my favorite: beautiful scriptures to uplift & comfort us during down times:-)