A popular winter beauty look, especially for my brown girl beauties, has always been the black lipstick look. In all honesty, this isn’t just a winter look–this can be pulled off any time of the year. Today, I’ll share with you my 3 top tips on how to wear black lips!
The Perfect Winter Lip
The ‘black ice’ look, is amazing in the winter months, against the backdrop of snow, gray filled skies, and dark winter wardrobes:-) Winter doesn’t sound so bad after all now, huh? Okay, it still sucks, but my poetic efforts took away a little of the sting I hope 😎
The Black Ice look is all about simplicity with the rest of your makeup, allowing the black lips to stand out. Brown girls look sssooo dope in this look, yet, I know how scary the idea of wearing black lips can be! So I put together a little guideline for anyone wanting to rock this striking look, but wanting to err on the side of glam not goth (it’s possible!). Hope it inspires you:-)
How to Wear Black Lipstick: 3 Things You Should Do:
1. Fill In Your Brows.
- Filling in your brows with such a dark lip, will sort of “tie the whole look together”. As we know, the brows frame the entire face. So well groomed brows with a black ice look can make the difference between the the look being glam or goth.
2. Break Out the Contour + Highlighter.
- I’m a big believer that there’s a time and place for contour and highlight–spoiler alert: every single day AINT IT! lol
- But with this look, you’re gonna want to apply your favorite contour into the hollows of your cheeks and along your temples, while highlighting the tops of your cheekbones and cupids bow.
- Contouring will “warm up” your face–to take some of the chill off the “black ice” effect (see what I did there?! lol).
- Warming up your face will be needed to give your skin some life and dimension, because the black lip can read quite harsh.
- Highlighting will provide some glam ‘balance’ to the contour, again to keep the look ‘pretty’ and not so stark.
3. Thin Liner + Mascara and/or Falsies.
- Get out your choice of black liner–gel, pencil, or liquid, and apply a super thin line along your upper lash line.
- Take a black pencil or gel liner and tightline (go underneath your upper lashes). I prefer these 2 for tightlining, as liquid can be messy underneath your lash line. This is optional, as I know this is hard for most people! So if you’re not comfortable with it, skip this step–and just do the thin upper line!
- Apply a generous coat of black mascara and go on top with some simple, natural falsies, if you bout it 😜 lol (falsies are optional–it will look great with just mascara, promise! BUT if you want to try lashes, and don’t know how to apply them, subscribe to my youtube channel, HERE, so you’ll be notified– as I’ll be posting an eyelash tutorial tomorrow! ).
Okay loves, there you have it, my best tips on how to pull off the stunning & chic ‘black ice’ look! If you’re a brown girl, get into this look! And tag me when you do it:-) lol
Until next time, bye lovaas💋